Please join the Center for Transformational Health Law of the O’Neill Institute for the launch of two WHO Policy Briefs on the policy response to alcohol consumption and tobacco use during the COVID-19 pandemic in the South-East Asia and Africa regions. Throughout the pandemic, there have been changes in alcohol and tobacco consumption, coupled with the increased likelihood of severe COVID-19 infections among consumers. In response, countries have implemented a range of policy approaches affecting the acceptability, availability, and affordability of alcohol and tobacco to address these changes.
Date: Wednesday, March 8, 2023
Time: 7:30 – 8:30 AM EST | 1:30 – 2:30 PM CET | 6:00 – 7:00 PM IST | 2:30 – 3:30 PM CAT
This virtual event will explore the lessons learned from the COVID-19 pandemic for tobacco and alcohol control in the two WHO regions. More importantly, the speakers will discuss guidance for future pandemic events bringing together findings from the two policy briefs.
- Rüdiger Krech, Director, Health Promotion Department, World Health Organization
- Safura Abdool Karim, Researcher, University of Western Cape
- Sam Halabi, Co-Director, Center for Transformational Health Law, O’Neill Institute; Professor, Georgetown University School of Health
- Jagdish Kaur, Regional Advisor, Tobacco Free Initiative, WHO Regional Office for South-East Asia (WHO SEAR)
- Nina Samidi, Program Manager, National Committee on Tobacco Control (NCTC), Indonesia
Moderated by: Kashish Aneja, Lead, Initiatives in Asia, Center for Transformational Heath Law, O’Neill Institute