Please join the O’Neill Institute’s Health and Human Rights Initiative for an event that brings together the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights (IACHR) and the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights (ACHPR) in conversation about emerging issues on the right to health in both regions.
Date: Tuesday, April 18, 2023
Time: 1:00 – 2:30 PM ET
Both Commissions have made significant steps in the realization of the right to health over the decades, especially while exercising their role to protect human rights. With the Inter-American Court of Human Rights, the IACHR has developed standards that guide states on regulating private actors, including those in the health sector. Similarly, the ACHPR recently published General Comment No. 7 on state obligations under the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights in the context of private provision of social services.
In light of this, this discussion will provide a unique opportunity for high-level dialogue between Commissioners from Africa and their counterparts in the Americas on the progress made, as well as the emerging issues around the right to health. The exchange of ideas and experiences will start to foster a collaborative approach between the Commissions in order to best utilize their mandates to ensure the right to health in both regions.
- Oscar Cabrera, Co-Director, Health and Human Rights Initiative and the Global Center for Legal Innovation on Food Environments, O’Neill Institute
- Commissioner Hon. Mudford Zachariah Mwandenga, Chairperson, Working Group on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights, African Commission on Human and Peoples Rights
- Commissioner Julissa Mantilla Falcón, Special Rapporteur on the Rights of Women, Inter-American Commission on Human Rights, Organization of the American States
- Allan Maleche, Executive Director, Kenya Legal & Ethical Issues Network on HIV and AIDS (KELIN); 2022 Belén Ríos Health and Human Rights Scholar, O’Neill Institute
- Silvia Serrano-Guzmán, Co-Director, Health and Human Rights Initiative, O’Neill Institute; Adjunct Professor of Law, Georgetown University